How can I treat coughing and colds in my 4-month-old?

Dr. Pamela Lindor
In brief: Very carefully!
Cough, cold and nasal congestion are very common in kids under 6 months.
Recommended, safe treatments include nasal saline drops, vaporizer, elevating the head of the bed, and occasional nasal suction. If your baby has a fever, refuses to eat, is extremely irritable, or is wheezing, you need to see the pediatrician. Do not use over-the-counter cough and cold meds, even those sold for "infants".

In brief: Very carefully!
Dr. Pamela Lindor
Dr. Pamela Lindor
Dr. Tanya Russo
Completely agree!
Dr. Manav Singla
Internal Medicine - Allergy & Immunology
In brief: TLC
Watchful waiting.
Saline drops are helpful and safe. Avoid over the counter medications, unless your doctor approves. It may be worth visiting the doctor to make sure s/he is not wheezing or having any breathing issues.

In brief: TLC
Watchful waiting.
Dr. Manav Singla
Dr. Manav Singla
Dr. Aaron Milstone
Board Certified, Internal Medicine - Pulmonology