If we unconciously snore during sleep is that apnea?

In brief: Just to be clear

Maybe you don't mean it like this but the statement almost sounds as if you are equating the term APNEA with the act of SNORING.
....I won't use the word "unconsciously" only because I don't believe there is such a thing as a CONSCIOUSLY SNORING individual who is at the same time asleep! LOL..Anyways, APNEA does not happen as a guaranteed consequence of snoring. A person who snores MAY have apnea.

In brief: Just to be clear

Dr. Dariush Saghafi
Dr. Dariush Saghafi
Dr. Sherin Ibrahim Howett
Internal Medicine - Sleep Medicine

In brief: Possibly

Snoring is a warning sign that sleep apnea may be present.
Other complaints include awakening gasping/choking for air, dry mouth/sore throat, urinating multiple times at nights, morning headaches, unrefreshing sleep, cognitive impairment and excessive daytime somnolence. Talk to your doctor about any of these symptoms. A sleep study would have to be done to confirm the diagnosis.

In brief: Possibly

Dr. Sherin Ibrahim Howett
Dr. Sherin Ibrahim Howett
Dr. Jeffrey Jarvis
Dentistry

In brief: Not necessarily

Some people do snore without any cessation of breathing (apnea).
But, it is not possible for you to self diagnose the presence or absence of sleep apnea. You need a sleep study for that. Often times it is the bed partner that hears the gasping or choking of which the sleeper is unaware. If you are a robust snorer now, expecially at age 35, it is likely that you will have apnea later in life.

In brief: Not necessarily

Dr. Jeffrey Jarvis
Dr. Jeffrey Jarvis
Dr. Ranji Varghese
Internal Medicine - Sleep Medicine

In brief: Not necessarily

Although snoring is the most common symptom of sleep apnea, sleep apnea can sometimes be silent.
Howver, the snoring of people with sleep apnea is loud enough to disrupt others, awakens the person from their own sleep and may be accompanied by snort arousals.

In brief: Not necessarily

Dr. Ranji Varghese
Dr. Ranji Varghese
Dr. Aaron Milstone
Board Certified, Internal Medicine - Pulmonology