If I have asthma, do I need a peak flow meter?

Dr. William Walsh
Addiction Medicine

In brief: Treatment plan

An essential part of asthma treatment is your own involvement with your care.
If you and your physician have decided you need to monitor your breathing daily, you should have one. If you don't know your plan, you can't follow it, so talk to your physician.

In brief: Treatment plan

Dr. William Walsh
Dr. William Walsh
Dr. Sue Ferranti

In brief: Helps...

A peak flow meter is a device you can use at home to monitor your asthma control.
In some asthmatics, their peak flow will drop before they have any other symptoms of an exacerbation. They can then increase their regimen, under their doctor's guidance, and sometimes prevent an acute episode. Your doctor can instruct you on its use.

In brief: Helps...

Dr. Sue Ferranti
Dr. Sue Ferranti
Dr. Jonathan Jassey