Are there good tests for rheumatoid arthritis?

Yes. I still mostly rely on the patient’s history and physical exam. A few blood tests can help support a diagnosis of RA: anti CCP antibody, RF for example. If these are present it suggests a worse prognosis. Joint x rays with early symptoms are often normal. More studies are defining the role of musculoskeletal ultrasound and MRI of the joints in helping us diagnose rheumatoid arthritis early.
Yes. The anti-ccp antibody and rheumatoid factor are the best and are positive in 85% of people with rheumatoid arthritis. A good history and examination by a physician experienced with rheumatoid arthritis is the only real way to make the diagnosis.
Yes. The best tests are a thorough history and physical examination (h&p) by a rheumatologist. Blood tests such as the rheumatoid factor and cyclic citrinullated peptides are helpful but not as reliable as the the h&p. X-rays help less unless there is already joint damage.