How do I know I have tonsil stones?

Dr. Bernstein Joel
ENT - Head & Neck Surgery

In brief: Look in the mirror

Tonsilloliths or so called stones in the tonsils are usually collections of food particles in the crypts (grooves) on the surface of the tonsil.
You can see them in the mirror as small white round collections. They may represent bacterial colonies, food particles or small retention cysts. They often produce a foul odor to the breath and may be a minor indication for tonsil removal.

In brief: Look in the mirror

Dr. Bernstein Joel
Dr. Bernstein Joel
Pathology

In brief: Easily

Eventually you hack one out.
They're actually made primarily of keratin; as a pathologist I've seen enough under the microscope. Get a penlight and a mirror and half-unbend a paper clip. You'll get good at it. They do recur. If it's truly a nuisance, a otolaryngologist can laser-resurface your tonsils.

In brief: Easily

Eventually you hack one out.
Dr. William Forsythe