Can a pacemaker be put in the lower abdomen?

Dr. Jason Rubenstein
Internal Medicine - Cardiology
Yes, it can be placed underneath the skin of the abdomen (but not inside the abdominal cavity).
This is typically done for children, especially with icds which are bigger than pacemakers, since their chest wall isn't big enough for the device. It is not commonly done (anymore) for adults.

Dr. Jason Rubenstein
Dr. Jason Rubenstein
Dr. Rajiva Goyal
Cardiology - Cardiac Electrophysiology
If some one does not have much sub-cutaneous tissue in the chest then we may certainly put the pacemaker in the abdomen.

Dr. Rajiva Goyal
Dr. Rajiva Goyal
Dr. John Garner
Internal Medicine - Cardiology
In brief: I hope so
That's where we put the first defibrillators when they came out :) it's messy though - you have to tunnel the leads and you can't forget that we have to change the battery from time to time.

In brief: I hope so
Dr. John Garner
Dr. John Garner
Dr. Arnon Rubin