What're the best medications for anxiety and panic disorder?

Medications that. Raise serotonin in the brain can significantly decrease baseline anxiety, which can prevent panic from happening. Sometimes adding a long acting benzodiazepine like Clonazepam can further decrease baseline anxiety.
MANY. There are a lot of options for treating panic and anxiety. The antidepressant class of medications is often used for anxiety. I believe that benzodiazepines (ie xanax, (alprazolam) valium etc) have a place and can be used very safely if prescribed appropriately.
Not benzos. The challenge for me is always to try and have a patient panic free without having to resort to benzodiazapines. These drugs include xanax, (alprazolam) klonopin, valium and others. Because they are potentially addictive, i avoid them. My drug of choice for panic disorder is nortriptyline. I also like citalopram and buspirone.