Should I take pain meds before I get my wisdom teeth removed?

Dr. Daniel Quon
Surgery - Oral & Maxillofacial

In brief: Depends

If you are experiencing pain prior to surgery, you should consult with your dentist or surgeon who may recommend that you take something to alleviate the pain, preferably something over the counter that works well for you.
If you are to undergo sedation or general anesthesia, you should definitely consult with your dentist or surgeon before taking any narcotic pain medication prior to surgery.

In brief: Depends

Dr. Daniel Quon
Dr. Daniel Quon
Dr. Jake Richards
Dentistry

In brief: Could but call

Talk to your provider. If you are going to take something make sure it is a mild NSAID or tylenol (acetaminophen).
Not opiods or narcotics. They will be given after. Most important is to call your provider though.

In brief: Could but call

Dr. Jake Richards
Dr. Jake Richards
Dr. Jared Plitt
Dentistry

In brief: Probably.

Studies show that taking 600-800mg of Ibuprofen an hour before a large procedure can significantly reduce the amount and severity of post-operative pain.

In brief: Probably.

Dr. Jared Plitt
Dr. Jared Plitt
Dr. Ronald Achong
Surgery - Oral & Maxillofacial

In brief: Not necessarily

Usually this is unnecessary.

In brief: Not necessarily

Usually this is unnecessary.
Dr. Ronald Achong
Dr. Ronald Achong
Dr. Jonathan Jassey