How long does it usually take to cure a broken rib?

Dr. Otto Placik
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: Gnenrslly 3-6 weeks

It depends on the severity and if there is an associated flail chest or punctured lung or hemopneumothorax which require urgent care.
However in the vast majority of cases nothing is done. This will take a minimum of 3 weeks for callus formation to stabilize the fracture and decrease pain but may take up to two years for complete healing.

In brief: Gnenrslly 3-6 weeks

Dr. Otto Placik
Dr. Otto Placik
Dr. Nir Hus
Surgery

In brief: Rib fractures

6-8 weeks
Simple rib fractures are treated conservatively with pain management only.

Certain rib fractures that result in breathing difficulties and / or relentless pain are treated surgically.
I use titanium plates to repair the chest wall.

In brief: Rib fractures

6-8 weeks

Dr. Nir Hus
Dr. Nir Hus