Will botox help peripheral neuropathy pain from shingles?

Dr. Alan Durkin
Surgery - Plastics
In brief: Unknown,but possible
I don't know if there is any effect of Botox on shingles.
In general, Botox works on the neuromuscular end plates, which are motor in nature. Shingles tends to effect sensory nerves, which is why it is so uncomfortable. I don't think Botox will effect it, but it is possible.

In brief: Unknown,but possible
Dr. Alan Durkin
Dr. Alan Durkin
Dr. Timothy Mountcastle
Surgery - Plastics
In brief: No
Not that i'm aware.

In brief: No
Not that i'm aware.
Dr. Timothy Mountcastle
Dr. Timothy Mountcastle
Dr. Jay Rosenfeld
There have been a few small studies suggesting that botulinum toxin (botox) may be helpful for certain types of neuropathy pain. There was a study out of China which suggested a positive effect in post herpetic neuralgia. This was a small study but there may be some potential for this. Talk to a doctor (neurologist or physiatrist or anesthesiologist) who specializes in pain management.
Dr. Adam Smith