Can normochromic or normocytic anemia cause leukemia?

Dr. Michael Thompson
Internal Medicine - Hematology & Oncology

In brief: No

Anemia (normochromic/cytic or not) can be a sign of leukemia (or a variety of other cancerous or non-cancerous conditions).
That is it can associated with leukemia. However, it does not cause leukemia. Correlation does not equal causation.

In brief: No

Dr. Michael Thompson
Dr. Michael Thompson
Dr. Stephen Noga
I agree. A small percentage of people who have anemia for which the cause is not obvious turn out to have cancer. The anemia is just one symptom that may bring this problem to the surface.
Dr. Sewa Legha
Internal Medicine - Oncology

In brief: No

Anemia can not cause leukemia.
I agree that anemia is common in folks who have leukemia, not the other way round.

In brief: No

Anemia can not cause leukemia.
Dr. Sewa Legha
Dr. Sewa Legha
Dr. Amy Deeken
Pathology

In brief: No

Anemia has many causes.
Anemia can be caused by leukemia, but there are many other causes of normocyyic normochromic anemia such as medications, autoantibodies, bleeding, chronic diseases, and medications. Anemia is not a disease entity itself, however a marker of an underlying disease. Doctors have to try to find out what is causing it.

In brief: No

Anemia has many causes.
Dr. Amy Deeken
Dr. Amy Deeken
Dr. Andrea Brand