What's involved in having mercury amalgam fillings removed ?

Dr. James Wright
Dentistry

In brief: Your Choice

Different methods available.
You can choose an accredited dentist, member of the iabdm or iaomt. Take a look at their web sites- www.Iabdm.Org, www.Iaomt.Org - to find dentists, with additional training in safe removal of mercury, amalgam fillings by iaomt and iabdm . Accredited members of these international academies, follow their protocols. See consumers for dental choice- www.Toxicteeth.Org.

In brief: Your Choice

Different methods available.
Dr. James Wright
Dr. James Wright
2 comments
Dr. Gregory LaMorte
I looked at the IAOMT site. I saw no peer reviewed articles. How come?
Dr. James Wright
Great question. Call Kim @ IAOMT.
Dr. Tom Semans
Dentistry

In brief: Drilling it out

The removal of amalgam fillings involves the removal of the filling which will involve removing a very minimal amount of tooth structure.
Amalgam fillings can be replaced with a composite resin filling material as long as the filling is not too large. If it a large amalgam filling, it is possible that you may need to have an inlay, only or crown placed.

In brief: Drilling it out

Dr. Tom Semans
Dr. Tom Semans

In brief: Drilling them out

Removal of amalgam fillings increases your exposure to mercury vapor because they are drilled out.
If you would like to reduce your exposure then ask the dentist to remove them while you are wearing a dental dam.

In brief: Drilling them out

Dr. Charles Kattuah
Dr. Charles Kattuah
Dr. Robert Fong
Dentistry

In brief: It's the same

My other colleagues have given very good answers to your question.
I just wanted to let you know that what you experience during the process is not much different than getting any filling.

In brief: It's the same

Dr. Robert Fong
Dr. Robert Fong
Dr. Adam Smith