1 doctor weighed in:

What is special about lantus (insulin glargine) insulin ?

1 doctor weighed in
Dr. Luis Gonzalez-mendoza
Pediatrics - Endocrinology

In brief: Basal insulin

40% of the Insulin a pancreas makes is done constantly and the other 60% is done to respond to your carbohydrate ingestion(when you eat).
Lantus (insulin glargine) is the first Insulin that was design to take care of that 40% because it is designed to work over 24 hrs without any peak in action minimizing low blood sugar reactions.

In brief: Basal insulin

40% of the Insulin a pancreas makes is done constantly and the other 60% is done to respond to your carbohydrate ingestion(when you eat).
Lantus (insulin glargine) is the first Insulin that was design to take care of that 40% because it is designed to work over 24 hrs without any peak in action minimizing low blood sugar reactions.
Dr. Luis Gonzalez-mendoza
Dr. Luis Gonzalez-mendoza
Thank
Read more answers from doctors