How does multiple myeloma affect the kidney?

Nephropathy. Myeloma produces proteins called light chains which can essentially "clog up" the kidney producing myeloma nephropathy. Myeloma also produces humoral substances which can damage the kidney.
Myeloma and kidney. Two major causes of kidney problem in patients with myeloma - direct effect of the abnormal protein to the kidney also called myeloma kidney/cast nephropathy and increase serum calcium /hypercalcemia.. Other causes of kidney failure include amyloidosis, and drug-induced kidney damage.