Is trazodone effective for sleeping?

Dr. Steven Reidbord
I see my colleagues endorse trazodone only cautiously, but i've had good success with it in my practice.
It's non-addictive (unlike many sleep aids), the dose is easily adjustable, and it's long-acting, so it gives a full night's sleep. It's not quick-acting, so best to take it a little ahead of bedtime. Side effects are rare in my experience.

Dr. Steven Reidbord
Dr. Steven Reidbord
Dr. Pamela Pappas
I have seen it work quite well also, but some are very sensitive to it and comment on a hung-over feeling in the morning. Dose dependent, yes.
Dr. Peter Forster
In brief: Sometimes
Many people take trazodone for sleep.
As with any medication it can have side effects, some serious (priapism or painful erections, inducing a mania in someone with bipolar) so make sure that you are following your doctor's advice. Generally trazodone is only moderately helpful, its main problem is that many people report a hungover feeling the next day.

In brief: Sometimes
Many people take trazodone for sleep.
Dr. Peter Forster
Dr. Peter Forster
Dr. Alan Ali
In brief: Trazodone
Caution if mood swings or taking other medications that add to sedation, constipation, dry mouth, blurred vision.

In brief: Trazodone
Dr. Alan Ali
Dr. Alan Ali
Dr. Thomas Riney
In brief: Short term only
Used alot in elderly nursing homes, not particularly good for more than a few days, less rem sleep, but cheap.

In brief: Short term only
Dr. Thomas Riney
Dr. Thomas Riney
Dr. Eric Weisman