I have a bad cough, what can I do?

Find out why. There are many potential causes of cough, and each cause has a different treatment. Find out why you have the cough. See your physician this week.
Fluids, expectorants. Mucinex (guaifenesin) and fluids can help break up the secretions. Dm syrups can suppress. Avoid drying antihistamines! they make it worse. This could happen from a viral bronchitis type infection, probably the commonest cause, or, if you aren't sick and it happens frequently after certain exposures, you could have allergic asthma. Cough is very often the main symptom of asthma, not wheezing. Get checked soon.