I have a bad cough, what can I do?

Dr. William Walsh
Addiction Medicine
In brief: Find out why
There are many potential causes of cough, and each cause has a different treatment.
Find out why you have the cough. See your physician this week.

In brief: Find out why
Dr. William Walsh
Dr. William Walsh
Dr. Barbara Stark Baxter
Internal Medicine - Allergy & Immunology
In brief: Fluids, expectorants
Mucinex (guaifenesin) and fluids can help break up the secretions.
Dm syrups can suppress. Avoid drying antihistamines! they make it worse. This could happen from a viral bronchitis type infection, probably the commonest cause, or, if you aren't sick and it happens frequently after certain exposures, you could have allergic asthma. Cough is very often the main symptom of asthma, not wheezing. Get checked soon.

In brief: Fluids, expectorants
Dr. Barbara Stark Baxter
Dr. Barbara Stark Baxter