How old do you need to be to get silicone breast implants?

Dr. Greg Sexton
Surgery - Plastics
In brief: 18
Try waiting to 20 if you can.

In brief: 18
Try waiting to 20 if you can.
Dr. Greg Sexton
Dr. Greg Sexton
2 comments
Dr. Jason Lichten
The FDA recommends age 22 for silicone implants. Most plastic surgeons adhere to this same guideline.
Dr. Richard Tholen
The FDA also approves Botox Cosmetic ONLY for glabellar frown lines; virtually every plastic surgeon I know uses Botox Cosmetic for crows feet and other "off-label" uses in properly-informed, consenting patients, just as I and many other ethical plastic surgeons use silicone implants in properly-educated women between ages 18 and 22 who choose them after informed consent.
Dr. Jason Lichten
Surgery - Plastics
In brief: 22
The asps (american society of plastic surgeons) has adopted a policy consistent with the fda’s approval of saline breast implants for women at least 18 years old and does not recommend purely cosmetic breast augmentation in teens under 18.
The fda limits the use of silicone breast implants for women 22 or older. Most plastic surgeons adhere to this policy.

In brief: 22
Dr. Jason Lichten
Dr. Jason Lichten
Dr. Greg Sexton
Surgery - Plastics
In brief: 18
I won't perform a cosmetic breast augmentation on anyone under 18 years of age, and try to talk most people into waiting until 20.

In brief: 18
Dr. Greg Sexton
Dr. Greg Sexton
Dr. Jason Lichten
Dr. Timothy Mountcastle
Surgery - Plastics
In brief: 22
22 for silicone.
18 for saline.

In brief: 22
22 for silicone.
18 for saline.
Dr. Timothy Mountcastle
Dr. Timothy Mountcastle
Dr. Joseph Mele
Surgery - Plastics
In brief: Depends on reason.
For elective breast augmentation the fda approved ages are 18 for saline and 22-years-old for silicone gel filled breast implants.
For reconstructive purposes, or the correction of birth defects, they may be used sooner.

In brief: Depends on reason.
Dr. Joseph Mele
Dr. Joseph Mele
Dr. Richard Tholen
Surgery - Plastics
In brief: 18
Although use of silicone gel implants in a woman age 18-22 is considered "off-label" by the fda, it is not illegal nor inappropriate in an informed patient who chooses this option.
Many plastic surgeons who would not hesitate to use Botox "off-label" for crows feet wrinkles (botox is fda approved only for frown line wrinkles) will not use silicone gel implants in women under 22. I do.

In brief: 18
Dr. Richard Tholen
Dr. Richard Tholen
Dr. Jonathan Jassey