How long after getting your Depo-Provera provera (medroxyprogesterone) shot does it work?

Maybe immediately. If you get the birth control shot within the first seven days after the start of your period, you are protected from pregnancy immediately. If you get the shot within five days after miscarriage or an abortion, or within three weeks after giving birth, you are protected from pregnancy immediately. Otherwise, you need to use some form of backup birth control, like a condom, diaphragm or sponge.