How do you get babesiosis?

In brief: Babesiosis
Babesiosis is an illness that can be spread when nymphs or adult ticks carrying a protozoan called babesia bite a human being.
This is not a common infection in humans ; is found only in very specific geographic locations.

In brief: Babesiosis
Dr. Larry Lutwick
Internal Medicine - Infectious Disease
In brief: Ticks
Babesia is an intraerythrocytic protozoan similar to malaria that is acquired by tick bite in specific endemic areas.
It can also be transmitted by blood transfusion.

In brief: Ticks
Dr. Larry Lutwick
Dr. Larry Lutwick
Dr. James Schaller
One of the ticks that carries Babesia species that can effect humans has a bite that is invisible. Meaning? It is tiny, and can also inject a pain killer, anti-inflamatory, anti-histamine, and other things to be effective--and never be felt. I sometimes wonder if people feel a tick bite from I. scapularis if it is a reaction to past saliva and this is YET ANOTHER BITE. We will see.
Dr. Arnon Rubin