How can I treat an oral ulcer?

Dr. Dennis Kelley
Dentistry

In brief: Here are a few

Samples of treatments: try reducing your intake of sodium filled foods, acidic foods or spicy foods.
Use hydrogen peroxide. (placing a small drop on the canker sore before it fully develops can help to alleviate it.) vitamin c. Apply baking soda directly, however this will sting a bit..... But my patients tell me it works.

In brief: Here are a few

Dr. Dennis Kelley
Dr. Dennis Kelley
Dr. Richard Charmoy
having seen this for over 30 years in my practice i have had my patients try many things, the fact is these need to run there coarse. If a patient comes in with one, I have a product called debacteriol it is a phenol base materila that I dab on, it stings but the ulce goes away in two -three days. If a patient has a major break out of several throughout the mouth and is having trouble eating, swallowing etc, I prescibe kenalog w/orabase for them to apply. However I really don't like paste substances becansue they get all over. I do at times prescibe lidocaine rinses.
Dr. Mark Sawyer
Dentistry

In brief: OTC meds

It depends what kind of ulcer it is.
If it is an aphthous ulcer or "canker" sore, there is not much you can do. They usually last from 10-14 days. There are some over the counter meds apply to the area to temporarily alieve the discomfort. Or it may be an oral herpes ulcer or "cold" sore. Those sores are usually found around the lips. There are some prescriptions to apply to the sore.

In brief: OTC meds

It depends what kind of ulcer it is.
Dr. Mark Sawyer
Dr. Mark Sawyer

In brief: Topical OTC products

These lesion come from the chicken pox family.
They lay dorment on the nerves and when stimulated by stress or trauma they appear, it takes 7-10 for them to resolve. Most treatment is pallative to sooth them. Stay away from citric food and spices when you have these.

In brief: Topical OTC products

Dr. Richard Charmoy
Dr. Richard Charmoy