Why do victims of iron deficiency anemia crave and chew ice so much?

Dr. Scott Bolhack
Wound care

In brief: Pagophagia

The exact relationship between chewing on ice and iron deficiency has not been exactly worked out.
Many physicians will order iron studies on patients that report chewing on ice just to make sure there are no deficiencies. Further studies will be needed.

In brief: Pagophagia

Dr. Scott Bolhack
Dr. Scott Bolhack
Pathology

In brief: No one has a clue

And this actually happened to me when I was donating a lot of blood and not eating a lot of red meat.
I found myself getting all excited about ice, wanting to chomp on the stuff -- so I went and got myself checked in my own lab, and bingo! The story's true. To this day, no one has any idea.

In brief: No one has a clue

Dr. Steven Seres