Are there any benefits to chinese herbal medicine?

Yes. Both Western medications & Traditional Chinese Medicines can be beneficial. You must be cautious about what you use however. I try to be aware if I am taking a TCM medication that utilizes a rare or endangered species (like rhino horn or rare sea horses). Sometimes can contain contaminants (such as mercury in shark).
Use both. In some cases there is nothing better than a pharmaceutical medicine and it produces miraculous results that would not be possible with herbal medicine. I think the best approach is the integrative medicine approach and use the best of both.