Hi, i am a 50 year old female; I get my period every 28 days on the date. Recently i've noticed more heavy periods. On friday night my period came as planned but w/out cramps, so I was not prepared to say the least and very heavy. Subsided somewhat by

Dr. Bac Nguyen

In brief: The change of life

It is highly likely that you are entering the "change-of-life" and irregular periods are expected.
The average age of menopause is 51-52 for women in the usa. I assume u have been getting regular gyn care. If not, please have an evaluation by your doc. Dysfuctional uterine bleeding is a concern and so an evalutation is warranted. Good luck to you.

In brief: The change of life

Dr. Bac Nguyen
Dr. Bac Nguyen
Dr. Scott Kramer
Gynecology

In brief: Evaluation & Options

Abnormal periods need evaluation; sonogram, lab tests.
Non-surgical options include: birth control pills. Lysteda (non-hormonal rx taken during period), Mirena (levonorgestrel) iud. Minimally invasive options: endometrial ablation (in-office), hysteroscopy polyp removal or fibroid resection; and only if these treatments fail then consider hysterectomy - vaginal or laparoscopic if possible.

In brief: Evaluation & Options

Dr. Scott Kramer
Dr. Scott Kramer
Dr. Casey Younkin

In brief: Abnormal bleeding.

You should see your doctor right away.
As menopause approaches your periods should get lighter and farther apart. There may be something abnormal causing the bleeding. It may be that you are not ovulating regularly and that can lead to this kind of bleeding but you need to be seen to find out for sure.

In brief: Abnormal bleeding.

You should see your doctor right away.
Dr. Casey Younkin
Dr. Casey Younkin
Dr. Jane Van Dis