I've found "rubber shorts" on amazon. Many are made of spandex (some 20%, and 80% nylon or cotton). Is this an effective alternative to dental dams?

Dr. Michael Sinclair
In brief: Nope
If you are trying to prevent an std, you need material that prevents the transmission of even very tiny microscopic bacteria or viruses.
If the product has cotton in it, it is not likely going to be an adequate barrier to protect from stds.

In brief: Nope
Dr. Michael Sinclair
Dr. Michael Sinclair
Dr. Gary Alder
Dentistry
In brief: No
I would have to see the reference but this would be a new one for me.

In brief: No
Dr. Gary Alder
Dr. Gary Alder
Dr. Jared Plitt
Dentistry
In brief: No
To provide an effective barrier, dental dam material has to be totally impervious to liquid.

In brief: No
Dr. Jared Plitt
Dr. Jared Plitt
Dr. Jane Van Dis