Can living with pets cause microcytic hypochromic anemia?

Dr. Jason Black
In brief: No
Microcytic hypochromic anemia is usually due to iron deficiency, and should be unrelated to living with pets.

In brief: No
Dr. Jason Black
Dr. Jason Black
Dr. Michael Engel
Pediatrics - Hematology & Oncology
In brief: I seriously doubt it
The most common reason for microcytic anemia in the us, overwhelmingly, is an fe deficiency state.
This is easily tested for and treated. Frankly, because the tests are more costly than the treatment, and the odds are in favor of fe deficiency, most providers will simply try a course of fe and check impact. If fe deficiency, its important to figure out cause and correct it otherwise anemia recurs.

In brief: I seriously doubt it
Dr. Michael Engel
Dr. Michael Engel
Dr. Steven Seres