The thing is doctor, that my patient is using bdzs and I want to switch them... So I was wondering if melatonine is good as trazodone?

Dr. Pamela Pappas
In brief: Not the same at all
Melatonin, trazodone, and benzodiazepines are 3 different things -- & neither melatonin nor trazodone can be used to "switch" from a benzodiazepine.
Benzo needs to be tapered very gradually itself, or sleep disturbance and withdrawal could result. Melatonin is not specifically a sedating agent, but trazodone could be used in that way. Melatonin can help initiate sleep but not help stay asleep.

In brief: Not the same at all
Dr. Pamela Pappas
Dr. Pamela Pappas
Dr. Kenneth Adler
In brief: BDZ Tx
Neither is treatment for use of bdzs.
Treatment usually involves taper, or use of Phenobarbital in supervised setting, depending on dose and length of treatment.

In brief: BDZ Tx
Neither is treatment for use of bdzs.
Dr. Kenneth Adler
Dr. Kenneth Adler