Should I have my baby boy circumcised?

Dr. George Klauber
Pediatrics - Urology

In brief: Pros and Cons

Majority of caucasian americans + all muslims +jews are circumcised.
Majority of european, hispanics +asians not. Fathers, sons + siblings like 2b similar. Utis in babies >frquent in incircumcised but utis in baby boys r uncommon. Indicated if urinary tract abnormalitise present, not if hypospadias or penile chordee. ? Reduce or increase premarture ejaculation. !10% un circ. Males trouble sometime.

In brief: Pros and Cons

Dr. George Klauber
Dr. George Klauber
Dr. Theresa Willett
Not much of a medical reason other than urinary infection which is already uncommon, and some evidence of decreased sexually transmitted infections. Just remember, they can be done later in life (though more painfully), but they cannot be undone.
Dr. Rafael De Haro

It is not necessary to circumcise a boy but it does improve hygeine.
Uncircumcised boys and parents will have to deal with that foreskin for many years to come. Most other males in this country are circumcised and this can become an issue in locker rooms. Circumcised males have fewer uti's and foreskin infections and there are some concerns about std transmission from long foreskins.

Dr. Rafael De Haro
Dr. Rafael De Haro
Dr. George Klauber
American Academy of Pediatrics has recently reversed its' previous recommendation and now has come down slightly in favor of all any boys being circumcised. Certainly advisable in any country or area where there is a high incidence of HIV.
Dr. Pamela Lindor

In brief: No

There is really no medical reason to have your newborn circumcised.
If you have a personal or religious reason, it can be done safely and with relatively few complications. "looking like dadddy" is not really enough of a reason. Do some reading, ask your pediatrician. If you choose not to circumcise, your doctor can instruct you on how to care for the baby's foreskin.

In brief: No

Dr. Pamela Lindor
Dr. Pamela Lindor
2 comments
Dr. George Klauber
Unfortunaetly, too many pediatricians, nurse practioers & PAs provide the incorrect advice regarding care of a baby's or young child's uncircumcised penis. The foreskin SHOULD NOT BE FORCEABLY RETRACED by anyone, neither parent, Dr or RN. It is painful & may lead to scarring of foreskin which then becomes phimotic(tight) and will require circumcision to correct. Just apply soap & water to outside.
Dr. James Krick
I agree completely with Dr. Klauber. I have performed countless circumcisions on toddlers who have foreskin issues that stem from poor advice about managing a baby's foreskin. I am in favor of neonatal circumcision.
Dr. Jesse Mills
Urology

In brief: No right answer

This is a personal choice with strong opinions on both sides.
The medical literature suggests circumcision reduces risk of contracting HIV but so does having honest talks with your son when he's older. Otherwise, it's up to you.

In brief: No right answer

Dr. Jesse Mills
Dr. Jesse Mills

In brief: No

From a medical viewpoint, the answer is no.
There is huge variation in the percentage of baby boys that get circumcised. It depends on the ethnic group or the religious group that the family belongs to. Overall, in america, my estimate is that 2/3 of the baby boys get circumcised. Circumcised babies, however, have a lower chance of getting a bladder infection, compared to the uncircumcised.

In brief: No

Dr. Shontae Buffington