Why are kids now a days diagnosed so often w/adhd&add then back in the 80's when I was growing up? N does this run in families a lot add/adhd?

Dr. Nguyen Nguyen

In brief: Improved recognition

Indeed adhd does run in families.
I think more are diagnosed because we have better tools to evaluate for adhd, and the treatment for it has been effective, there is more acceptance of the condition. It is not correct to try to link it to the increase in the number of vacines today. In the fifties we were given more than 3000 antigens in the vaccines whereas today they get only 300-400 antigens.

In brief: Improved recognition

Indeed adhd does run in families.
Dr. Nguyen Nguyen
Dr. Nguyen Nguyen
Dr. Nguyen Nguyen
I got the above numbers for the article by Dr. Offit. Here is the entire article: http://www2.aap.org/immunization/families/overwhelm.pdf
Dr. Carla Enriquez

In brief: It's heritable

Yes, it runs in families.
We are able to recognize these case more easily now. Adhd is a condition that is under diagnosed, under treated, & under recognized. But it's impact is amazing. Drug use, motor vehicle deaths, academic & work failure, felonies, failed relationships, addictions ate the consequence of untreated adhd. See my health guides for articles.

In brief: It's heritable

Yes, it runs in families.
Dr. Carla Enriquez
Dr. Carla Enriquez
2 comments
Dr. Johanna Fricke
I think we're getting better at diagnosing Inattentive Type, which often was missed in girls, & recognizing the academic impacts.
Dr. Carla Enriquez
Dr. Fricke you are absolutely correct!
Dr. William Singer
Pediatrics - Neurology

In brief: Environmental factor

First-ADHD does run in families.
Second the diagnosis is mid used to characterize behaviors that and not consistent, such as aggression, destructiveness. Teachers have large classes so they may characterize children who need special attention as ADHD. Other misdiagnoses are depression, anxiety,inadequate sleep or diet, abuse, inappropriate Ed placement, family separation or disharmony. And more

In brief: Environmental factor

First-ADHD does run in families.
Dr. William Singer
Dr. William Singer
Dr. Anne Phelan-adams
Some of the increase in diagnosis is the awareness of the problem. Some of it is the decreased tolerance of teachers to tolerate the behaviors associated with ADHD. There's some evidence also that the lack of physical activity with curtailing of phys. ed. & recesses may aggravate the symptoms. Some children just have too much energy to be able to sit at a desk 8 hours a day, 5 days a week..
Dr. Cornelia Franz

In brief: 400% increase

Since the 80s.
Yes it can run in families. Many theories...Food is more processed and less healthy. Video games have been proven to have an adverse affect and stimulate neurotransmitter dysfunction. Less play time outside. And since roughly 1985 we went from giving 18 total vaccines between 2 months and 5 years to giving 48 in the same time frame. Connection? Not clear.....

In brief: 400% increase

Since the 80s.
Dr. Cornelia Franz
Dr. Cornelia Franz
Dr. Shontae Buffington