Can swollen gums be from hydroxyurea or leukemia?

Dr. David Rizzieri
Internal Medicine - Hematology & Oncology
In brief: Occasionally
I agree with the answer above, but if one is known to have leukemia and you are wondering if it can infiltrate the gums, then yes, we do see that.

In brief: Occasionally
Dr. David Rizzieri
Dr. David Rizzieri
Dr. Stephen Noga
Internal Medicine - Oncology
In brief: Tough question
One should see their doctor to review this.
It may be as simple as having gum disease or an infection but not knowing why a person is taking Hydroxyurea prevents a better answer. Certainly this drug can lower your immune defenses and set you up for infection and the mouth is an easy area for this to occur.

In brief: Tough question
Dr. Stephen Noga
Dr. Stephen Noga
Dr. Devon Webster
Some types of leukemia cells can invade the gums, causing them to be swollen. Ask your oncologist.
Dr. Peter Kurzweil