My husband spermogram shows that he has >nighty nine % of sperms are vacuoles.What does that mean.Can we have a baby through ivf.And is their a treat?

Dr. Khurram Rehman
Fertility Medicine

In brief: Poor sperm quality

Vacuoles in sperm are considered a sign of poor quality - but they can't be seen with conventional microscopy of sperm, as used when we do icsi (intracytoplasmic sperm injection).
Three choices for you & your husband - 1. Ivf with imsi (ultra high magnification view of sperm) which is 'experimental'. 2. Use testicular sperm (surgically retrieved sperm) instead of ejaculated sperm. 3. Donor sperm.

In brief: Poor sperm quality

Dr. Khurram Rehman
Dr. Khurram Rehman
Dr. Michael Opsahl
Fertility Medicine

In brief: Unconventional term

Sperm analysis usually does not focus on vacuoles.
I am not sure what the report is telling you. You should probably have a talk with your doc. If you have a baby with ivf then you already know that having a normal child is possible. Your doc should be able to review the test and then go over your husband's health hx to see if there are changes that might improve quality. Good luck.

In brief: Unconventional term

Dr. Michael Opsahl
Dr. Michael Opsahl
Dr. Shontae Buffington