I'm a obese 33female.Who's considering asking my dr about bariatric surgery.I'm 5'1 n 235lbs would I have2loose weight before they'd do surgery on me?

Dr. Scott Welle
Bariatrics
In brief: Probably not
Your bmi is 44.
Most likely you would not be required to lose weight before your surgery. Although every surgeon has their own personal protocols so check with your bariatric surgeon.

In brief: Probably not
Your bmi is 44.
Dr. Scott Welle
Dr. Scott Welle
In brief: Some
You may be a candidate for weight reduction surgery since your bmi is 44 and therefore are classified as morbidly obese.
Most surgeons would put you on a weight loosing diet in the preoperative period (10% loss is the goal) in an attempt to shrink you liver size to make the operation easier.

In brief: Some
Dr. Wendell Goins
Dr. Wendell Goins
Dr. Marc Neff
Surgery
In brief: Weight loss surgery
Your bmi is 44.
4. The body mass index is a way to compare patients with different heights and weight and assess how overweight they are. Above 40, your bmi classifies you as someone who would qualify for surgical intervention. The typical weight loss surgery patient does not need to loose weight prior to the surgery, but they would need to engage in a complicated preoperative program.

In brief: Weight loss surgery
Your bmi is 44.
Dr. Marc Neff
Dr. Marc Neff
Dr. Mark Elliott
Emergency Medicine
In brief: Counseling
Bariatric surgery is obviously very successful for many.
The main issue is finding a reputable center and the first step will be counseling. This is needed for the surgery but also to get ready for the life style change.
Dr. Adam Smith