Should I worry that my baby sleeps so much?

Dr. Michael Joseph
Pain Management
In brief: No
Given that it is normal for newborns to sleep 16 - 20 hours per day they often seem like they are sleeping all of the time.
Their sleep is often divided evenly throughout the day and the night. Many infants need stimulus to stay awake even during feeding.

In brief: No
Dr. Michael Joseph
Dr. Michael Joseph
Dr. Laura Webb
In brief: No
As long as your baby is regularly waking up for feedings sleeping a lot is nothing to worry about.
As your baby gets older they will sleep a little less and be wakeful for longer periods of time. Around 4 months babies often begin to consolidate their daytime sleeping into 2-3 naps with longer, more active wakeful periods in between. If your baby doesn't seem to wake even to feed see your dr.

In brief: No
Dr. Laura Webb
Dr. Laura Webb
Dr. Jonathan Jassey