Can anxiety and tension cause a hungover feeling in the morning? I've had sleep studies - not apnea.

Dr. Christopher Dowd

In brief: Maybe

If you don't sleep well related to your anxiety/tension, then you could wake feeling unrefreshed inthe morning.
I would also consider other things besides apnea though, for ex are you taking meds? Supplements? Drink alcohol? All of these have the potential to interfere with sleep. Your doctor can review these things with you. Good luck!

In brief: Maybe

Dr. Christopher Dowd
Dr. Christopher Dowd
Dr. Donald Jacobson

In brief: Poor quality sleep

The symptoms that you are having are referred to as sleep drunkenness.
Anything that can cause fragmented, poor quality sleep can cause this. The most common causes not related to drugs or medications are depression and idiopathic hypersonia with long sleep time. It can certainly also be seen in narcolepsy and circadian rhythm sleep disorders, and the interplay between anxiety and these conditions is considerable. Please discuss this with your treating physician and if necessary return to sleep disorder specialist.

In brief: Poor quality sleep

Dr. Donald Jacobson
Dr. Donald Jacobson
2 comments
Great info!!
Dr. Sherin Ibrahim Howett
I could not have explained it better myself!