I was just diagnosed with genital herpes, after the out break is gone am I contagious. I am a 52 year old male?

Dr. Reid Blackwelder

In brief: Not once rash gone

Herpes infectious in all its forms (cold sores, genital and shingles/zoster) is contagious as long as the rash is present, and the sores are healing.
Once gone, the virus "goes to sleep" in the body, usually along a nerve and can reawaken due to various things like stress. While rare, some people can transmit the virus through bodily fluids without lesions, so nothing is quite 100%.Use condom!

In brief: Not once rash gone

Dr. Reid Blackwelder
Dr. Reid Blackwelder
Dr. Jane Van Dis