What are your opinions on the spinal cord stimulator? My pain management dr is forcing me to get it and I just don't think it's gonna work.

Dr. Brian Le
Pain Management

In brief: Neuromodulation

Spinal cord stimulation (scs) is a device that transmits mild electric currents to the spine to interrupt pain signals and replace the pain sensation with a mild tingling known as paraesthesia.
It is approved for treatment pain of the trunk and extremity. It is very effective for selected patients. However, if you don't feel comfortable with the treatment, you shouldn't do it.

In brief: Neuromodulation

Dr. Brian Le
Dr. Brian Le
Dr. Neil Ellis
While spinal cord stimulation can provide excellent results in many patients, what is most important is how you feel about it. No one should force you into any procedure.
Dr. William Newton
Pain Management

In brief: Forced???

I would seek out another pain management provider if you are feeling forced to have anything done.
You comments alone make you a poor candidate for the technology. This is a wonderful technology for the right patients. It sounds like you need more education on the device and what to expect. You can request to have a patient to patient meeting to answer your questions. This often can help.

In brief: Forced???

Dr. William Newton
Dr. William Newton
Dr. Cheryl White
Whenever I hear that a physician is "forcing" someone to do something I think it is time for a second opinion. It may be that the physician said that they have little left to offer for the condition, but a second opinion is certainly a good idea before moving ahead with this type treatment. It is VERY effective when used for the right reasons - but it is your body - you decide once you have all the facts.
Dr. David Teicheira
Pain Management

In brief: You are not ready

Spinal cord stimulators can be effective tools in managing some types of pain, but they will not make it all go away.
I put in many spinal cord stimulator every year and would never put one in someone who does not believe this is the right thing to do. You do understand that everyone has to test drive a stimulator (trial period), before a permanent one is placed? Have a long talk with your doc.

In brief: You are not ready

Dr. David Teicheira
Dr. David Teicheira
Dr. Larry Armstrong
I like the way Dr. Teicheira stated his opinion- you need to think this is the right thing to do!
Dr. Michael Gofeld
Pain Management

In brief: Second opinion

Nobody should "force" patients to have procedures done.
It might be a good idea, however a second opinion of an expert would be something to consider.

In brief: Second opinion

Dr. Michael Gofeld
Dr. Michael Gofeld
Dr. Vikram Patel