Sometimes after i've been shopping at a mall or dept store my hands get puffy and horribly itchy for a while. Assuming its an allergy of some kind- ideas?

Dr. Steven Machtinger
Internal Medicine - Allergy & Immunology

In brief: Pressure hives

Or, more precisely, delayed pressure urticaria.
This is a physical urticaria where when pressure on the skin is relieved itchy hives appear at the site & then fade away in minutes to hours. I'm making the bold assumption that you are toting bags ladened with purchases. Try going to the mall & not buy anything. See if you still get swollen, itchy hands.

In brief: Pressure hives

Dr. Steven Machtinger
Dr. Steven Machtinger
2 comments
Dr. Barbara Stark Baxter
your own purse can be the culprit as well--lots of ladies have heavy purses right now, it's fashionable.
Dr. Steven Machtinger
I completely agree with Dr, Stark Baxter.
Dr. Arnon Rubin