Could hydrea (hydroxyurea) possibly help children with sickle cell disease?

Yes. Hydre increases a type of hemoglobin called fetal hemoglobin in sicle cell patients and this prevents the sickle cells from breaking up easily. Hydrea (hydroxyurea) can reduce need for transfusions and patients may have less pain crises, chest sydrome and other complications.
Yes. Hydroxyurea, hydrea, (hydroxyurea) is well known in several large multi-institutional national studies to help children that have sickle cell disease. Particularly in children that have had prior sickle cell crises, Hydroxyurea appears to have benefits in reducing the frequency and severity of sickle cell crises.