I am curious about the associations between IBS & other GI problems and Parkinson's disease. What do the pd experts out there think of research on that subject?

Dr. William Gaya
Neurology
In brief: Parkinson's disease
That is a fascinating subject.
The autonomic nervous system (ANS) is in charge of gastrointestinal motility. Parkinson's disease (pd) is know to affect the ans. Constipation is a very significant problem in pd. Conversely, men with constipation are at a higher risk of developing pd. There is data that suggests that ANS disorders can precede pd by many years, perhaps representing a pre-morbid state.

In brief: Parkinson's disease
That is a fascinating subject.
Dr. William Gaya
Dr. William Gaya
Dr. Charles Cattano
Internal Medicine - Gastroenterology
In brief: IBS & Parkinson's
Parkinson's affects GI motility adversely.
Irritable bowel syndrome is a symptom complex that in part may reflect altered GI motility. In addition, ibs is very common (>40 million americans). There is little doubt parkinson's symptoms may mimick ibs, and of course some parkinson's patients may also have ibs. I doubt there is any other significant link between the two entities.

In brief: IBS & Parkinson's
Dr. Charles Cattano
Dr. Charles Cattano
Dr. Oscar Novick
In brief: No association
There is no known association between ibs and parkinson's although dr michael gershon who authored the second brain believes that there is an association.

In brief: No association
Dr. Oscar Novick
Dr. Oscar Novick
Dr. Peter Kurzweil