Left foot swollen since a 5-hour flight 2 days ago. Doesn't hurt to walk, swelling does down at night, but returns in the day. Should I be worried?

Dr. Jeffrey Kass
Podiatry
In brief: Concerned
I would be concerned.
Mainly because of your age. Usually, the concern on long flights is someone can possibly get a clot in their leg. The concern is that normally your foot is not swollen. It is possible you have a stress fracture, though, i wold expect some degree of pain. A visit to the doc, i think would be a good idea.

In brief: Concerned
I would be concerned.
Dr. Jeffrey Kass
Dr. Jeffrey Kass
Dr. Kevin Considine
In brief: Might want to check
This may be just venous insufficiency or varicose vein and such.
But it wouldn't hurt to have a doctor take a look to be sure. Also try wearing support hose at least knee high as well.

In brief: Might want to check
Dr. Kevin Considine
Dr. Kevin Considine
Dr. Scott Keith
Podiatry
In brief: Rigors of Flight.
This falls into the realm of transient intermittent foot swelling caused by you 5 hour flight with inactivity.
If this was the first time that your foot became swollen, then the chances are that with a little time and activity the foot should go back to normal. As long as the swelling goes down at night, it is probably only a matter of time before all is normal. Keep a keen eye open though.

In brief: Rigors of Flight.
Dr. Scott Keith
Dr. Scott Keith
Dr. William Forsythe