Will that work as a temporary filling until I can go see a dentist for a cavity?

Go to your pharmacy. Temporary dental filling material is available for purchase over the counter at your local pharmacy. It may seem self-evident, but needs to be stressed: temporary filling material is only for temporary use, and will do nothing to prevent the progression of tooth decay or avert dental infection. You should arrange for professional dental service at your earliest opportunity.
What Work? There are some temp materials at some pharmacies that you can place but they are limited and getting to the dentist is the best option.