Why will a pulmonary embolism cause low o2 but not high co2?

V/Q mismatch. A large pe will cause elevated c02 and require more respiratory effort because the physiologic "dead space" will increase and the body may not be able to compensate with increased breathing. For the same reason the affected area of lung cannot participate in gas exchange which may lead to inadequate oxygenation - or low o2.
Ventilation. A pulmonary embolism causes the respiratory rate to increase and it is easier to eliminate co2 than it is to oxygenate. Also in some severe cases the co2 can indeed be increased which is a poor prognostic sign.