What should I take to relieve chronic back pain?

Dr. Will Moorehead
Orthopedic Surgery - Spine
In brief: See doctor
Chronic back pain mean that you have been experiencing pain for 3 or more months.
It is now time to find out what is wrong . Make an appointment to see your pcp for complete evaluation. It may be as simple/complex as being overweight or a muscle strain. It may be kidney problems or arthritis or disc problems. Getting the correct diagnosis is the key to successful treatment.

In brief: See doctor
Dr. Will Moorehead
Dr. Will Moorehead
Dr. Mitchell Cohn
Absolutely correct, but to be complete, a good hands-on osteopathic assessment should be performed in addition to all the other standard examination techniques and tests. Osteopathic examination can pick up subtle clues as to the cause of chronic pain often missed by other methods of diagnosis and can often lead to curative treatment via manipulation usually not employed in standard pain treatment. Meds usually only cover pain, but do not actually treat the CAUSE of the pain, therefor leaving the pain unresolved.
Dr. Mitchell Cohn
Pain Management
In brief: Additionally-DO Eval
The prior answer is absolutely correct.
I would simply add that an exam is not complete, however, until you have an osteopathic musculoskeletal assessment. Although much pain can arise from more serious problems which require specific treatments, as outlined previously, an osteopathic hands-on assessment can pick up subtle musculoskeletal causes often missed by other diagnostic techniques.

In brief: Additionally-DO Eval
The prior answer is absolutely correct.
Dr. Mitchell Cohn
Dr. Mitchell Cohn
Dr. Vikram Patel