What does it mean if there is blood in my stool?

Dr. Arthur Heller
Internal Medicine - Gastroenterology

In brief: Bunch of things C MD

Visible blood in the stool can be from hemorrhoids, inflammation, polyps, diverticulosis (pockets in wall), fragile blood vessels, poor blood flow to bowel; uncommonly from higher up in the gut (major bleed).
Occult (not visible, but chem tested +), can be all of the above plus other causes. See your doc to find out what and where it is from.

In brief: Bunch of things C MD

Dr. Arthur Heller
Dr. Arthur Heller
Dr. William Lizarraga

In brief: Any # of things

All of which your doctor can help you with! blood in the stool can range from hemorrhoids to inflammatory bowel disease to cancer to many other things.
The history and a physical exam are critical here. I would ask your doctor to help you figure out what to do next!

In brief: Any # of things

Dr. William Lizarraga
Dr. William Lizarraga
Dr. William Forsythe
Board Certified, Emergency Medicine