Can having hemolytic anemia stop me from getting pregnant?

Dr. Christopher Powers

In brief: No

The oxygen carrying capacity of your blood, which is what anemia affects, does not affect fertility.
However, depending upon how profound your anemia, it may make the pregnancy very difficult and risky. I would definitely correct the anemia before conception and remain in the care of your hematologist to maintain normal hemoglobin levels throughout your pregnancy.

In brief: No

Dr. Christopher Powers
Dr. Christopher Powers
Dr. Michael Engel
Pediatrics - Hematology & Oncology

In brief: No it won't....

If you're trying to get pregnant, i would work with your doctor to diagnose and treat the underlying cause of the hemolysis and the correct the anemia before trying to conceive.
Pregnant women often develop a dilution all anemia, and given the demands of the fetus for oxygen during pregnancy, you and your child face additional challenges when the anemia is exacerbated. Good luck to you.

In brief: No it won't....

Dr. Michael Engel
Dr. Michael Engel
Dr. Adam Levy