Should I pick my baby up when she cries?

Dr. Pamela Lindor
In the first 3-4 months, you should comfort your baby when he/she cries, by talking, touching, holding, moving and/or feeding.
You can not "spoil" a newborn by holding or soothing "too much". However, as the baby gets older, you need to allow them time to learn to "soothe themselves" and to wait short periods of time before being picked up.

Dr. Pamela Lindor
Dr. Pamela Lindor
Parents should always respond to an infant who wakens with a cry or starts crying while playing.
They should go thru their checklist of issues that may need help. Hungry?Hot?Cold?Laying in spitup? Etc. If all is well and baby is just tired, remind them with your actions that things are ok & help them settle.Put them down awake, read to them, etc. But let them drift on to sleep under their own power.

Dr. Shontae Buffington