Should I wait between stopping my anti-depressant and taking the herb l-5-hydroxy tryptophan?

Dr. Alan Ali

In brief: Tryptophan

This is advisable especially if the antidepressant raises your serotonin levels, but do talk to your prescribing doc.

In brief: Tryptophan

Dr. Alan Ali
Dr. Alan Ali
Dr. Barbara Srur

In brief: 2 weeks

L-5-hydroxy tryptophan is a precursor (building block) of many neurotransmitters which may be out of balance when a person has depression.
To be safe, you should tapper of the antidepressant to avoid side effects. Many times, over the counter "herbs" are not as effective because they are not controlled by the fda and the amount of active ingredients is inconsistent.

In brief: 2 weeks

Dr. Barbara Srur
Dr. Barbara Srur
Dr. Eric Weisman