Least of troubles. Ethylene glycol causes death by acidfying the body and producing crystals in the brain and kidney; there are problem direct toxic effects on some of the metabolic pathways as well. Hemolysis, if it occurs, is the least of these patients' problems. This question appears elsewhere and i wonder if some misguided teacher is asking it. Good luck.
Does not. At least not in humans. Ethylene glycol is metabolized to a number of toxic compounds that can damage kidney, brain and heart. In animals particularly mice one of these damages red blood cells and causes hemolysis, but for some reason this is very rare in humans. Apparently the human red blood cell is relatively resistant to that particular injury. Still the other toxicities remain.
Yes, if early. Ethylene glycol is broken down by alcohol dehydrogenase into toxic metabolites. Once that happens, alcohol won't work. The idea is that the alcohol will take up all the available alcohol dehydrogenase available and stop it from metabolizing the ethylene glycol into it's more toxic metabolites. Read more...