Is lithium appropriate for clinical depression?

Yes, but... Yes, but usually after other treatments have failed. Lithium is one of the few drugs with evidence showing it can reduce suicidal behavior, so lithium (either monotherapy or adjunctively) definitely has a place in treating severely depressed, suicidal patients who've failed more conservative tx. I'll add that when used adjunctively, doses are often much lower than what's used in bipolar patients.
Yes. Lithium works for depression. While there are "newer" drugs, lithium has unique mechanism of action that is not reproducible by other drugs. Therefore, lithium is an important option. There is no such thing as better or worse antidepressants. Best antidepressant is the one that works for you. You are lucky if your doctor is willing to consider lithium. It is not being promoted by any drug company.
Lithium. Been used for years to treat depressed phase of bipolar disorder. Is good mood stabilizers but for pure depression, i prefer using antidepressants & if response is inadequate , then lithium can supplement the antidepressants.
Yes lithium can. Be used fro depressive symptoms , specially for people sho mutate themselves , get angry and no responding to antidepressant and to bipolar people as mood stabelizer.
See below. Lithium can work. However, this is an old medication with a lot of potential side effects. There are better medications.