If my son has high functioning autism, is it likely my daughter will have it too?

Dr. Jonathan Nehrer
Pediatrics - Psychiatry

In brief: Yes and no

Asperger's and autism may run in some families.
But not in all families with one child with the disorder. If it runs in famlies it is likely to be due a multiple factor inheritance not a single gene. In short the only way to tell is to have your daughter tested by a psychologist with expertise in this area.

In brief: Yes and no

Dr. Jonathan Nehrer
Dr. Jonathan Nehrer

In brief: One one hand...

...It does run in families, and has a strong genetic component.
On the other, the parenting skills you learned in the meantime are very important, and might make a huge difference.

In brief: One one hand...

Dr. Anatoly Belilovsky
Dr. Anatoly Belilovsky
Dr. Cindy Juster