How difficult is it to quit smoking?

Dr. Randy Baker
Holistic Medicine

In brief: Millions have quit

Tobacco is highly addictive & quitting isn't easy, but millions have successfully quit so it is very do-able.
Quitting is less difficult than dying young or getting emphysema! the most important thing is a strong desire to quit. There are many strategies to help, from nicotine patches/gum & various pharmaceutical meds to acupuncture & hypnosis. Exercise & relaxation helps. Please see my comments:.

In brief: Millions have quit

Dr. Randy Baker
Dr. Randy Baker
Dr. Randy Baker
Almost all cigarettes have dozens of added chemicals from sugar to formaldehyde that increase their addictiveness, so step one is switching to smoking pure tobacco, like American Spirit brand, or roll your own. One advantage to rolling your own is you can add other herbs to the tobacco, like Mullein, Lobelia, Sage, Calendula, Red Raspberry, Nettle & Hops, gradually increasing the ration of herbs to tobacco. For some other ideas see http://altmedicine.about.com/od/therapiesfromrtoz/a/quit_smoking_2.htm and www.shareguide.com/smoking.html Good luck!
Dr. Douglas Arenberg
Internal Medicine - Pulmonary Critical Care

In brief: Definitely. Do it!

Tobacco cessation requires 2 tasks.
Overcoming nicotine addiction, and a deeply ingrained habit. Withdrawal symptomst last ~3 wks, and many can get past that with will power and nicotine replacement. Sometimes, in my opinion, the harder job is to change the habit. Avoid cues that you associate with smoking, tell family/friends to help, pick a date and get help and meds (varenicline from your md.

In brief: Definitely. Do it!

Tobacco cessation requires 2 tasks.
Dr. Douglas Arenberg
Dr. Douglas Arenberg
Dr. Steven Seres